Thursday, November 8, 2012

Disney and Lucasfilm - a StarWars fan's comment


I had avoided to write about this subject for some time but I decided to  finally say something about it. Trust me I am trying to force myself to be as brief as possible.

I am a fan of Star Wars since I was 10 years old. I discovered the movies thanks to the 20th  STARWARS Anniversary when a special edition of the movies was released.
It was a good moment to become a fan because soon after that , the new episodes came along so the world was filling up with “galactic” excitement.

Being a kid and a  fan of Star Wars means that I have watched the movies too many times , have collected figures , magazines , bought all the DVDs and so on – but above all it means growing up with those characters and getting very attached to them.

Lucasfilm seemed to be something special for me . It was Lucas’s creation. I have always though that after he retires he will leave the company to some of his colleagues from the company to run it .
I consider him to be very good business above all else .  I have though that he would like his company to remain independent as long as it is possible. But maybe being a good businessmen for him meant to do this final deal with Disney .

Lucas said that he wants to give STARWARS a future . But I wonder : Can’t StarWars have a future of its own ? Can't Lucasfilm produce and make their own movies even without Lucas?
Apparently not . Hollywood becomes more and more monopolistic …. but the monopole of the filming industry  (and not only )  is another topic that I wont talk about now.

Ok , so Disney buys Lucasfilm . With StarWars in one pocket and Marvel in the other , Disney now gets the loyalty of millions of fans from some of the biggest fandoms in the world . By loyalty I mean that those people WILL watch their movies , no matter if they like them or not . Add to this all those curious movie-goers and you get a very big number of audience .
As long as this loyalty exist and as long as it brings profit more movies will be done from the same merchandise . It is as simple. It seems only fair that Disney will want to earn from its StarWars investment  by making the most of it – new movies .

Now let me be honest - I was disappointed and surprised with Lucas selling the company but  at the end of the day I am ok with it . Nothings is to be done. Nevertheless,  I am still not sure  how I feel about any future StarWars movies being done .

To have more StarWars movies could be really great idea but of course only if the movies are really good or at least good enough .
It is useless to say , that  NO new movie will EVER bring the same feeling and atmosphere as of the old StarWars because of many many  reasons .( I'm doing  you a favor for not listing them all … it will take me pages - but if you want me to - I will  ) .  Even though it will "never be the same" for the old fans the new StarWars  might however win new followers - those who are not emotionally attached to the old series . But I am an old fan so I have my doubts .

Let me share a few of them :

1. the characters – I really deeply and sincerely hope that they wont re-cast Luke , Leia and Han . They are emblematic characters and I feel it is too soon for them to be re-casted .
For sure many people who are new to the saga won’t have a problem with that but I would definitely feel bad about it ! Even if the new actors are great or whatever I just don’t want the image I have of them to be destroyed … or changed. As far as those original  characters go ,  I am a nostalgic and stubborn fan . I am very open-minded for anything else .

It is because of the nature and origin of the characters .  If we talk about Batman or even Dracula – those characters who have been created by book or a comics,  no matter how one adaptation of them could become emblematic , still  they are free to be reinterpreted .

In the case of StarWars the movie characters are the original ones – it would look like a fake to copy them and it would lack continuity to reinterpreted them . It could be such a tremendous risk for Disney to try to revive those characters now.

I hope the story will deal with their children or even distant relatives , decades after what happened in the previous movies. Reference can be created between the episodes but I prefer that Disney would choose to start something of their own , something new and exciting that can make people love those new characters . No one will compare any new characters to the old ones in the same way as inevitable will happen if there is a new Luke Skywalker. I am sure that 80% of the StarWars fans will already hate any potential new Luke before even know who will play him – this is how many fans react . You cannot create something almost "sacred" for someone and then easily alter it as you want– it just won’t be “sacred “ anymore …. But what do I know ? Maybe re-casting Luke , Leia and Han will be Disney winning card … ( hope not )

2 – My other preoccupation is the possible “infinity” of the Star Wars project .
The problem is that if those 3 movies are successful they will keep making more until … someone is watching them .  Over-stretched stories are never too good. I hope they make this new trilogy complete in itself.  But lets not look too much into the future now

3 - How about one thing that really annoys me – labels . Something like  “Star Wars fits Disney because it is perfect family entertainment movie “ ….. how about some more dark and twisted and “advanced”  StarWars ? Noooo ,  it has to be watchable by everyone , it has to be just entertaining , it must fit the formula …This is the keyword I am afraid of . To stay true to a story is one thing , putting a story into " a frame" is another .
This is how StarWars might lose most of its initial charm – if they try to make it fit to any kind of standards and expectations. Maybe this same reason made the recent StarWars Episodes to suffer a little in quality . Any future StarWars movies are already creatively limited by such labels. Limited by the fact they will be turned into a product that is to be released every few years on an exact schedule ... Some may thing this is a good thing ..It works with other movie franchises. In any case , it  lowers my personal expectations to be really amazed by Episode 7 , so I just can hope to be entertained by it at least . I don't blame Disney -  it is only understandable that any company that invest a lot in anything has to be sure it will sell .

When StarWars was made it was revolutionary movie for its time , it was different , made with  enthusiasm by young  people who wanted to explore new possibilities … now it will be just the next in line blockbuster . I am afraid of it becoming too closed and confined in its own shadow ….

Said all this , I can assure you that I will go to watch Episode 7 and  I might even like it  but this would never be that StarWars of before , the one I loved . I can watch something with the  mind of 10 years old kid just ones . That StarWars that I saw back then is forever part of my and my childhood and nothing can ever ruined it for me - because it is a memory . I hope the new StarWars can become such kind of a memory for the nowadays 10-years-olds ...but something makes me doubt that it will . Please , Disney , prove me wrong  !

In the end of the day , the StarWars "re-birth" makes me thing of a kind of sad pattern I notice about Hollywood – they don’t want to take risks , they prefer to invest in projects that will bring a secure profit .
I believe they are a lot of people full of ideas about new worlds , new characters and new stories – many of which maybe more relevant to our own time and society but those often remain unnoticed .

It is true that most great stories are universal and they are going to be retold many, many times for generation to come . But which are  the great film stories that our own generation has to tell and to leave into history ? I refer to those special stories that last in time – those with characters you remember, created with visual imagination that amaze you , stories that relate to everyone.
Even “new stories” as Twilight or Harry Potter had a chance to be produced as movies only because they had attracted people’s attentions as books.
Can filmmakers be given a chance to make something big out of an original idea ? I don’t say original movies don’t exist but they seems to be too few . And please do not talk to me about Avatar ! It had the most unoriginal story ever ! It was about special effects and even those couldn’t make me think of this movie as something revolutionary or at least special ( note:  I am not  anti-avatar ... the movie  had its moments but too much expectations leads to no good in my case ) . I went out track as usual and started a topic that  is very long so I stop here .

Just if I could I would suggest to the producers in Hollywood to give a chance to new stories to come to live  because I do not really want to spend my life as a movie fan only in waiting  episode after episode to come out ….

photo source : www.cinefish.bg

1 comment:

  1. I think in pretty much the same way. I'll go see Episode 7 no matter what, and it might disappoint me, but I'll go see it any way, for old time's skaes at least.
    As for the story of the new movies, let's not forget that tons of books have been written on what happened next in the saga. So, hopefully there will be some consistency with those ideas.

    By the way, I think much of people's disappointment with the newer series of Star Wars is to do with the fact that when the original movies came out, people had never seen anything like that before. That's why they made the impression they did, and it can't be recreated nowadays in the same way, given it's been done so many times after that. Watching Star Wars for the first time all those years ago was like experiencing your first love. After that, it's hard to get the same thrill again.

    I don't really think that Lucas betrayed his fans with what he did... it's just that people expected too much.

    Anyway, I'm looking forward to new episodes, no matter what they might be like. Maybe Mickey will make a guest appearance... :P

    ReplyDelete