Friday, September 20, 2013

RUSH ( movie review )



     First time I heard about Rush, I though it is going to be some sort of Formula 1 version of the Fast and The Furious. Later I got to know more about the subject of the movie so I got more and more interested in it. Therefore I went to see it the first day it arrived at the theatres in here.
Now don’t get me wrong – I do enjoy watching Fast & the Furious type of movies from time to time, but I didn’t go to see Rush because I wanted to see fast cars – I went to see it because I became interested in the characters it portraits. 

I must say that I had only seen the first trailer and I had avoided watching any more clips from it and I also did not go to read about what really happened to James Hunt and Niki Lauda , because I didn’t want to know too much about the plot . And I am so glad that I did that . The story was more powerful for me that way.



So here is the actual review that I am writing to you mostly because I want to recommend you to watch Rush .  Please go see it on the big screen – the experience is so much better!
I like the movie because of few things , that I will list you in random order :



1.     The cast
I must confess that I like a lot both Chris Hemsworth and Daniel Bruhl , so  I might be kind of biased in my opinions . In any case I think they both did a very good job .  After all I like them because they are very talented actors and they proved it that once more .
Chris seems to always be very natural in his roles and the image of James Hunt suits him pretty well.  He is absolutely believable as the charming, reckless playboy and I can’t blame the ladies for falling in his arms just so easy. Still, there are moments when you can see that James has his fears and his "troubled emotions".
As for Daniel , he is just great in this role. He steels the show a couple of times. His character is a pretty interesting and so very different from James Hunt. He might seems less likeable but I was kind of impressed by Lauda more that once in this film .

Unfortunately the movie here is dubbed in Italian so I couldn’t appreciate well enough the accents that both main leads had to master in order to sound like their characters but I will make sure to watch the movie again in original language when is released on DVD or on digital format .  

The supporting cast is also pretty good.  I need to mention  that there are some very beautiful and talented actresses there.  It’s was a pleasure to watch them.

2.     Visuals, sound and music
The combination between all those components is very well done. There are some really great shots and lets not forget some very beautiful locations. The music and sound is also just so right . Works great on building up the tension . Especially during a race all blends together very well ( I really loved to hear the roar of the engines on high volume in the cinema.)
 Ron Howard really choose the right people to work with.


3.     The Story -  it’s balanced enough between the entertaining fun bits ,  those with more serious note  and the really trilling moments when you just can't get your eyes of the screen . You get to see a little bit of the life of both characters – their ups and downs . You won’t be drugged around their whole carrier – all is concentrated basically on a particular time period . It all builts up pretty well to the "grand finale " .  I wasn’t bored  and I enjoyed it all . 
 I just wanted there to be more interaction between Lauda and Hunt but I guess this is because I enjoyed watching them so much. But I can’t speak more without revealing too much so here is a warning : 

Whatever follows contains  spoilers!  Please do not read further if you haven’t seen the movie yet . Just come back to read and comment afterwards ;) 



There are many interesting aspects in this film – the lifestyle of those people who risk their lives for a living, the time period , this crazy but fascination sport ,  the rivalry between the characters and the ways it  defines them both  and influences their actions. Their different points of view and approach towards not only racing but towards life in general.
Also there is something in particular that I was impressed with and that I want to mention . I was impressed with Lauda’s actions . He almost burned to death but he came back to race just few weeks after the accident! And the best part is that later he managed to withdraw when he saw it was too risky. These are some difficult decisions and I admire him for both. 


The most impressive thing about this movie , however , for me is that this story is actually  real . James Hunt really won by just one point showing extreme determination at the end . Lauda really almost died and come back to race immediately after that.


I am often more impressed by people’s actions rather than by people’s words – in that sense , I think Rush “tell us “ more things that it might appear at first . 



I like movies who can entertain me but also tell me stories that I keep thinking about days afterwards . These movies are not only the once you enjoy but also the ones you remember.



Review by Viki


images from http://www.rushmovie.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment